Paul R Crabtree
Sang "Abraham" Chun
Ida United Methodist Church began as a group of small predominantly German-speaking house churches in the 1860s. In 1870 the congregations came together and built a new brick building for worship on Dunbar Road, where a missionary circuit rider from Ohio would come to deliver the gospel to the German church-goers in their own language.
While some families in that early congregation went on to form churches in other townships in the area. In 1890 several Ida families contracted our present day church building at a cost of $2,400 ($60,675 in today's market) and was dedicated in 1891. A basement was dug under the church building in 1927 and a fellowship hall was added in 1956.
From the Evangelical group that first gathered in the mid-19th century to the union of the Evangelical United Brethren formed in 1946 and finally to the modern Ida United Methodist Church established in 1968 (at the formation of the United Methodist Church), faithful stewardship has always played a major role. Members have served the church through loyal attendance and by giving their time, talents, and gifts all inspired by faith in the Holy Spirit and dedicated to the glory of God the Father and his Son, Jesus Christ.